Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A decadent delight I found in a March 2005 issue of 'Fresh' magazine. This was a reader's recipe from Sharon Johnston, Mount Crosby, Queensland (Australia). There is a photograph on the same page as the recipe, and Sharon looks about 10 years old. The page bore the heading 'A slice of heaven.' I considered adding nuts to the recipe, but decided to leave it exactly as it was. Nuts would be the obvious addition here, possibly instead of the coconut. Or perhaps 1/2 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts. Hope you enjoy Sharon's slices of heaven!
- 200 g dark cooking chocolate
- 150 g butter, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar (200g)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain flour (150g)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (85g, see suggested variation above)
- 425 g black cherries, pitted, drained
- Preheat oven to 180°C; lightly grease a 16cm x 26cm pan and line it with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe dish (a microwave Tupperware jug is ideal for this purpose); microwave on medium/50% power, stirring once, for 2 minutes or until the chocolate and butter have melted.
- Stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture, stirring well to thoroughly dissolve any lumps; stir in the eggs, flour and coconut; once these ingredients are well combined, add the cherries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes; leave in the pan to cool; then cut into squares to serve.
OUTSTANDING combo of flavors, & I'm with tigerduck ~ The dark cherries, dark chocolate & the coconut was a winning combo! This is definitely on my list of things to make when I next do a finger food spread for one of the monthly groups I host! Thanks for A VERY NICE TASTING TREAT! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag]
The combination of chocolate, coconut, and dark cherries is wonderful! I used a 9 inch square pan and baked at 350 degrees. Thanks bluemoon downunder for sharing a special brownie recipe. Made for Gimme 5.