Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cooking time approximate. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 4 cups sour cherries, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 7 cups sugar
- 1 cup brazil nut, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pectin
- Place cherries in a large kettle and add water.
- Stir until mixture boils.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- heat rapidly to boiling; add Brazil nuts and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in pectin.
- Cook three minutes.
- Skim, stir well, put into hot jelly glasses and seal.