Recipe by **Jubes**
A classic French custard/pudding dish with the addition of almond meal in place of regular flour. A gluten free clafouti. Alternate fruits can be used in place of the cherries such as lightly stewed or steamed rhubarb, apple, pear or peach. Ensure you use a gluten free icing sugar if a gluten free diet is being followed.
Top Review by Mimpard
So happy I bumped into this great recipe! I didn't have almond meal on the shelf so I put almonds into the food processor and ground them finely, but there was enough crunch to make the dessert interesting. I used frozen cherries so I had to add extra time for baking. This is a wonderful dessert that is not too sweet and really brings out the flavor of the cherries. I topped the dessert with a dollop of whip cream that I made with a touch of almond extract. This will be a family favorite.
- 400 g tinned pitted whole cherries
- 1⁄3 cup almond meal
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20cm round pie dish with butter or margarine.
- Spread the fruit in the dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine the almond meal and the sugar.
- Separately, whisk together the milk and the eggs.
- Slowly add the eggs and milk to the almond meal and sugar. Mixing until fully combined.
- Pour the almond custard mixture over the cherries. Bake for approx 30 minutes or until the clafouti is just set.
- Dust with icing sugar (use pure icing sugar if following a gluten free diet).
- Serve with cream or ice-cream if desired.
- The clafouti can also be made in ramekin dishes for individual serves. Just watch the cooking time as you will need less time.