Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a great dessert for the Atkins induction diet because it is very low in carb... almost none. Also good for Diabetics. It is also easy.
- 5⁄8 ounce sugar-free cherry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups ice cold water
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- Make the gelatin according to package directions: add boiling water to gelatin and mix until completely dissolved.
- Add the cold water and almond extract.
- Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Whip the cream till stiff.
- Be careful not to overbeat (it becomes whipped butter. Instead you want gentle peaks).
- Add the whipping cream to the gelatin.
- For a stiffer, jello-like consistency simply mix with a spoon.
- For a flufflier consistency more like light mousse, use an electric mixer and mix the cream with the jello until frothy.
- Chill until set.
I've made this twice now. The first time I followed directions exactly. It was tasty but a bit bland, so the second time, I reduced the cold water AND the cream by 1/2 cup each, and added 2 packets of Splenda. I like the richer taste, and it still makes 8 large servings. It's really easy to make -- just be sure to allow 3-4 hours for the jello to set. Thanks for a delicious and satisfying low carb dessert! When made with my changes, there are 1-1/2 Net Carbs per serving.
I made this using sugar free raspberry jello, with no flavourings and only 1/4 pint of heavy cream. made up the jello and let it cool, whipped the cream until soft peaks then whipped it all together until it was frothy. I then poured it in to tumblers and left it to set. It made 4 good size portions and it looked rather pretty as the jello / cream / froth had all seperated and gave a three tone colour change to each layer. It tasted great too! I'd definatly do this again, next time with cherry and amaretto flavourings. Thanks rachel