Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Source: Pillsbury Cooking time includes 2 hour refrigeration time.
Make and share this Cherry Almond Torte recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Whipped Cream and Almond Cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese spread, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Grease bottoms only of two 9-inch round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed just until combined; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour and spread batter evenly into pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix pie filling and cornstarch.
- Cook over medium heat about 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat to cool.
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Beat in cream cheese spread until fluffy.
- Reserve 1/2 cup whipped cream mixture for garnish.
- Stir almonds into remaining cream mixture.
- With serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally.
- To assemble torte, place 1 half cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1 cup almond cream.
- Top with second half layer; spread with 1 cup cherry mixture.
- Top with third half layer; spread with 1 cup almond cream.
- Place remaining half layer on top.
- Spoon remaining cherry mixture on top of torte, spreading almost to edge.
- Frost side of torte with remaining 1 1/4 cups almond cream.
- Spoon reserved 1/2 cup whipped cream mixture into decorating bag with large star tip.
- Pipe cream around top edge of torte. Refrigerate about 2 hours before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.