Recipe by Hap Hazard
Adapted from the July 2007 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine as posted on The Washington Post website.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground unblanched almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites
- 4 teaspoons cherry brandy
- 24 bing cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffins tins. Place mini-muffin paper liner inside each cup.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it begins to sputter, reduce heat. Cook until butter has lightly browned. Skim foam from top and remove skillet from heat.
- Whisk together flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add egg whites and whisk until smooth. Stir in flavoring. Pour in butter, leaving any dark brown sediment in skillet and whisk to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup, filling about halfway. Push a cherry in each, keeping stem up. With a small spoon, smooth batter over cherries to cover. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean and cakes are golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen, and unmold. Cakes can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature overnight.
- Makes 2 dozen.