Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Comes form Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cookies cookbook.I make these sometimes without the filling and drizzle honey while still warm.
- 118.29 ml butter, softned
- 78.07 ml packed brown sugar
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 14.79 ml orange juice or 14.79 ml kirsch
- 591.47 ml flour
- 78.07 ml finely chopped almonds
- 1 egg yolk
- 14.79 ml milk
- 118.29 ml cherry preserves (I use raspberry jam)
- 28.34 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 1.23 ml shortening (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with foil;set aside In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on med-high for 30 sec.
- Add brown sugar,baking powder,and salt.
- Beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and orange juice until combined.
- Beat in as much flour with the mixer as possible use a wooden spoon to add any remaning flour and 1/4 cup of nuts.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into prepared cookie sheet.
- Flatten to 1 in thick.
- Make an indention that's 1 in wide and 1/2 in deep down the middle of each log from end to end.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Brush on top and sides of dough.
- Spoon in filling.
- Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 25-30 min or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool logs on cookie sheet on a wire rack for an hour.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board,with a serrated knife cut each log crosswise into 1/2 in thick slices.
- If desired, in a small pan heat chocolate and shortening over low heat until melted,stir frequently.
- Drizzle over slices.