Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Comes form Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cookies cookbook.I make these sometimes without the filling and drizzle honey while still warm.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softned
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon kirsch
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup cherry preserves (I use raspberry jam)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon shortening (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with foil;set aside In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on med-high for 30 sec.
- Add brown sugar,baking powder,and salt.
- Beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and orange juice until combined.
- Beat in as much flour with the mixer as possible use a wooden spoon to add any remaning flour and 1/4 cup of nuts.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into prepared cookie sheet.
- Flatten to 1 in thick.
- Make an indention that's 1 in wide and 1/2 in deep down the middle of each log from end to end.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Brush on top and sides of dough.
- Spoon in filling.
- Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 25-30 min or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool logs on cookie sheet on a wire rack for an hour.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board,with a serrated knife cut each log crosswise into 1/2 in thick slices.
- If desired, in a small pan heat chocolate and shortening over low heat until melted,stir frequently.
- Drizzle over slices.