Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
A delicious cake roll filled with a fluffy cherries & cream filling! Prep time does not include chill time. Created for RSC #12.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free strawberry jam
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 -6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted & chopped
- red food coloring (optional)
- prepared whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- 4 fresh cherries, with stems intact, for garnish (optional)
- Cake: Put the egg yolks in a mixer bowl & the egg whites into a small container & set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flours & the baking powder. Set aside. Grease & flour a 10x15x1 inch jelly roll pan & preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat egg yolks & almond extract on high speed until thick & bright yellow (this takes several minutes) & then very slowly begin adding in the 1/3 cup of sugar, beating til nearly dissolved. Beat in the strawberry jam. Transfer this mixture to a smaller bowl & set aside.
- Wash & dry the mixer bowl & wire whip thoroughly, to remove any yolk mixture, & then add the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the 1/2 cup sugar & beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites until almost combined & then sprinkle the flour mixture in & fold everything together. Try to keep as much volume as possible during this step.
- Lightly spread batter into prepared jelly roll pan, making sure to push it into the corners too.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven & gently loosen the edges of the cake from the pan.
- Lay out a large, clean kitchen towel & sprinkle the surface with powdered sugar. Quickly flip pan over onto powdered sugar & let cake fall out. Lightly dust the top with powdered sugar. From a short end, begin rolling both the cake & the towel into a log. Dusting additional powdered sugar on the underside of the towel as you go. Place rolled cake & towel on a wire rack to cool (45-60 minutes).
- Filling: Beat mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, butter & almond extract til combined. Begin adding powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until the mixture thickens but is still a spreading consistency.
- Stir in the chopped fresh cherries & a few drops of the red food coloring, if desired.
- Assembly: Unroll cake & spread filling to within one inch of the edges all the way around. Roll up cake & filling only this time, lay a medium piece (about 8") of waxed paper over the top of the roll & carefully wrap the roll in the paper. Transfer to a platter & place in the refrigerator for about an hour, turning the roll over at about 30 minutes to avoid a "flat area" from forming.
- When chilled, remove waxed paper & place roll seam side down on serving platter. Place 4 small dollops of whipped cream across the top of the roll & place one cherry on top of each dollop. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time.
A very tasty rich tasting roll! I had trouble with my rolling but I think I didn't add enough powdered sugar to the filling. My filling kept squishing out. This was a bit of work to get together but really worth all of the effort. The cake is very tasty and would be good even by itself. I added a bit more almond extract to the cake and to the filling, just because I love almond flavor! I would make this roll again for sure. Thanks so much! Made for Hidden Gems Event