Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from my Eat Well Stay Well cookbook. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks like a great way to use up leftover rice. Dried cranberries or blueberries can be used in place of the cherries. 4 servings.
- 236.59 ml rice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 340.19 g can evaporated skim milk
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml orange zest
- 118.29 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 0.59 ml almond extract
- 118.29 ml dried cherries
- 59.14 ml slivered almonds, toasted
- Cook the rice until tender.
- Add the evaporated milk, brown sugar and orange zest; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until the rice is very creamy and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla and almond extracts and remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature, stir in the cherries and almonds and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled.
This was so delicious.Will certainly make it again.