Recipe by love4culinary
Top Review by kingc00kie
I didn't have the liqueur so I used 2 tsp extract. The frozen cherries I used were so dry with all the cornstarch and sugar, that three tbsp of liqueur would not have helped. I think next time I will leave out the cornstarch almost completely. One pie would have been better than the two recommended and I used sliced almonds in the crumb crust instead of coconut and it was delicious. I hope to make this pie again soon with some alterations and it will be a five star! Thanks for the recipe!
- 1⁄4-1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups sweet cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur
- 2 9-inch baked pie crusts
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.The amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of the cherries and how sweet you like your pie. I use 1/2 cup.
- Add cherries and liqueur.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens.
- Spoon into baked pie shells.
- Make topping: combine flour and sugar and cut in butter with pastry cutter, until texture of coarse meal.
- Stir in coconut.
- Sprinkle top of pie to within 2" of center.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until coconut is toasted.