Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
An old recipe that is very light and fluffy looking and pretty looking. I think that canned cherries would work as well. The reason it takes so long is chill time.
- 1 pie shell, baked
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherries, frozen sweetened
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cream, whipping
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons almonds, toasted, slivered
- Soften Knox gelatin in 1/4 cup water.
- Thaw cherries.
- Drain, adding enough liquid to make 1 cup into saucepan.
- Add lemon rind.
- Bring to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin mixture.
- Stir until dissolved.
- When mixture begins to thicken, whip until fluffy.
- Add cherries and almond extract.
- Whip again.
- In another bowl have whipping cream and sugar
- Whip it.
- Fold 1/2 the cream into gelatin mixture.
- Spoon into pie crust.
- Spread rest of whipped cream over the top.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Chill 4 hours.