Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
These muffins have a creamy like center making them very moist.
Top Review by Ducky
These taste great and are a nice light muffin. Since I had problems preparing them, I had to lower the stars. The batter is more like a wettish dough and not easy to get into the muffin tin. I only had enough dough for about 10 or 11 muffins but had enough cheesecake filling for about 18 muffins. The preserves barely made it through 12 muffins. I found that the filling spilled over and made a mess of the oven. The pan was no fun cleaning either (luckily I got to it before everything hardened!). I did dig the muffins out of the tin before they preserves hardened them to the tin. If I made these again I would use less dough on the bottom. Made for PAC April 2009.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup cherry preserves, warmed
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, chopped (sliced or slivered can be used as well)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg, sour cream and almond extract until smooth.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thick).
- Combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon for the topping in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in almonds; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Fill greased muffin cups half full with batter.
- Divide cream cheese filling and preserves evenly between muffin cups; swirl gently.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.