1/2 Photos of Cherry Almond Muffins
I recently purchased a muffin and bread book at a used bookstore. Came upon this recipe and recalled the jar of maraschino cherries leftover from Easter and thought it was a tasty way of using up what I otherwise use strictly as garnish. It initially stuck me as odd to use maraschino cherries in an otherwise healthy recipe, but the results are so tender and tasty I think of this is redemption for the poor dyed and preserved fruit. What is presented here includes my changes to the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute or 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, drained and halved
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (unblanched or blanched)
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray. (You can also use liners but the direct contact with the pan gives the exterior a crisper exterior.)
- 3In a large bowl combine the flour, Splenda, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- 4In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until they are well-frothed but not stiff. If you have meringue, you’ve gone to far. Add the yogurt and almond extract and beat a few more seconds.
- 5Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Over mixing will result in some tough puck-like muffins. Gently fold in the cherries and almonds.
- 6Fill muffin cups two-thirds full and bake for 18-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- 7Serve warm. I like mine with Brummel and Brown spread.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Almond Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.3
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 195.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: