Recipe by spatchcock
Made this recipe, which was mined from the internet originally, and dressed it up to my liking. It is really, really good--once you make it it won't be around for long (just ask my scale.)
- 2 cups very ripe sweet cherries (I used frozen black cherries)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 c egg substitute(don't leave this out, as the texture will suffer)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cherries, sugar and water in top of double boiler.
- Cook over med heat for around ten minutes, allowing the fruit to soften and sugar to dissolve.
- Take out 1/2 of the cherries and drain juices back into pan.
- Puree the rest of the mixture.
- Roughly chop the 1/2 cup of cherries and mix back into puree.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Add half and half and egg to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Whisk in chilled cherry mixture.
- Add heavy cream and almond extract.
- Blend well, and chill.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to your machine's instructions.
- Add almonds, if desired, near end of cycle, when the ice cream is thick enough to prevent all the almonds to sink to the bottom of the mix.