Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This started as a peanut butter granola bar recipe, and I've since tweaked it to our tastes. I love the almond flavor these have and the cherries are a great pop! I use part old-fashioned oats and part quick oats because I think the texture is better.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Spread the oats and almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, stirring them occasionally to make sure nothing burns. When they're nice and nutty-smelling and light brown, remove from the oven and let them cool until they're cool enough to be touched. Leave the oven on, you'll be using it again soon!
- Add oats and almonds to a large mixing bowl along with the cherries and flax seed. Drizzle the honey over the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Warm the almond butter in the microwave or in a double boiler until it is melty. Pour the almond butter into the oat mixture, add the almond extract, and stir to combine everything. The mixture should be moist and crumbly, but not soggy or dry. If you find it too wet, add some oats or flax seed. If it's too dry, add honey or almond butter a teaspoon at a time.
- Once you've got the texture right, butter a 9x13 pan and press the mixture into it. I coat my hands with some oil so that I can really pack the oats down without anything sticking to my hands.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. The bars are done when the top is a light golden-brown and the edges are slightly darker.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then cut into squares or bars. Enjoy!