Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This delicious coffee cake, which was developed by Robin Hood Multifoods' test kitchen, can also be made with apple or blueberry pie filling.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup soured milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (19 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for the topping.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda to the remainder.
- Beat together the egg, buttermilk and almond extract.
- Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter over the bottom and partway up the side of a prepared 8-1/2 or 9-inch springform pan.
- Spoon the pie filling evenly over the batter.
- Drop small spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the filling.
- Stir the almonds into the reserved crumbled mixture.
- Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes for a 8-1/2 pan or 50 to 60 minutes for a 9-inch pan in a preheated 350 degree F oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cover with a piece of foil it the top is getting too brown.