Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful coffee cake topped with sliced almonds and with spoonfuls of cherry pie filling baked in the center. Note: Cook time is actually 1 hour and 5 minutes. Recipe from Bon Appetit.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 ounces cans cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced almonds (2oz)
- Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 10" diameter springform pan.
- Beat sugar and butter together until light, then add eggs, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into another bowl.
- Mix half of dry ingredients into butter mixture, then add sour cream, then add remaining dry ingredients.
- Pour 2/3 of batter into prepared pan.
- Drop pie filling by tablespoons over batter evenly.
- Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over pie filling and using back of spoon, carefully spread batter over filling.
- Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack, then cut around sides of pan and remove cake from pan.