Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
Clafouti is a French dessert, half pudding and half cake; very easy to prepare. Fresh cherries are the classic filling; however, if these are not available, use canned tart cherries, (not pie filling), figs, prunes, or halved dried apricots. Nut Warning - Almonds and Almond extract. Eliminate these ingredients from the recipe if your have an intolerance to nuts.
Top Review by islandgirl77551
Very good! I used fresh cheries that I froze earlier this summer. The only two minor changes I made were that I used Brandy extract instead of real Brandy and pecans instead of almonds because I had them on hand. My mother says it would make a great holiday dessert. I agree! Oh, I almost forgot, I used splenda instead of real sugar,too.
- 12 ounces large fresh pitted cherries or 12 ounces frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 teaspoons cognac (optional) or 4 teaspoons brandy (optional)
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons roasted sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 375°F.
- Butter four 1-cup capacity ramekins, or custard cups.
- In a small bowl, toss the cherries with 2 tbsp of the sugar, then divide evenly among the ramekins (or custard cups) In a food processor, combine the almonds, the remaining sugar, the flour, salt, eggs, egg yolk, milk, and almond extract.
- Process about 30 seconds,or until the almonds are ground and the mixture forms a smooth batter Pour the batter over the cherries, dividing equally.
- Top each serving with 1 tsp cognac, or brandy, and bake 35 minutes, or until puffed and brown.
- Let cool until warm (they will sink slightly).
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.
- Serve warm.
- NOTE: To make one large dish of clafouti instead of individual servings, pour the batter into a buttered 2-quart baking dish and cook 45 minutes.
- Serve by spooning clafouti into individual dessert dishes.