Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an old fashioned dessert...total comfort food. The cinnamon dumplings simmer with the fruit and soak up the sweet syrup. Wonderfully delicious! This recipe was printed in a cookbooklet that I received in one of our swaps.
- 32 ounces frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- ice cream (optional)
- In a large skillet, combine the cherries and 1/3 c sugar; bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium high and simmer rapidly until syrupy (this should take about 8-10 minutes).
- Combine the cinnamon and 1 T sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually stir in the milk; mix until a wet dough forms.
- Very important: Do not overmix the batter as it should be wet and lumpy.
- Reduce the heat on the cherries to medium low and spoon tablespoons of batter over the simmering fruit.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over dumplings.
- Cover the skillet and simmer very gently until the dumplings are set.
- The dumplings should be dry to the touch (this should take about 10-12 minutes).
- Enjoy warm served with ice cream if desired.
YUM! Lovely dessert. Enjoyed the cinnamon with the cherries and of course vanilla ice cream to top it off. Wonderful, comforting dessert!