Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Easy dessert to have in the freezer for last minute guests. Yummy and can be made to look very impressive! Cook time includes freezing time.
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened (I like French vanilla or I have used chocolate chip and cherry chocolate chip!)
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 tablespoons almond flavoring (optional) or 2 tablespoons rum flavoring (optional)
- whipped cream
- chocolate sprinkles or chocolate shavings
- Mix butter, flour, sugar and pecans.
- Press lightly in 9x9 pan.
- Bake until light brown about 12 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from oven and crumble with a spoon.
- Let cook completely.
- Remove 1 cup of crumbs.
- Press remaining back into the bottom of the pan.
- Pack ice cream evenly on top.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of crumbs over ice cream.
- Cover and freeze until firm about 4 hours.
- Just before serving, heat pie filling and flavoring if desired, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and cut into 3 inch squares.
- Spoon topping over each serving.
- Garnish with whip cream and chocolate.
- Serve Immediately.
- Can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Don`t worry it will look like a cookies when it comes out of the oven, but will crumble very easily. I followed the directions, but I will next time mix the crumbs into softened ice cream (so to make it like cookies and cream). I also heated a spatula so slicing the ice cream was easy. I`m so tempted to go to the freezer for seconds! Yummy!!!