Recipe by Rita~
Poached Cherries in vanilla and lemon syrup can be served straight up, garnished with whipped cream or for cakes, filling for crepes or as an ice cream topping. Pronounced: suh reez / poh sheh
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This is another recipe I made to serve as finger food at our New Year celebration over the next couple of days, & believe me these make a great tasting, flavorful bite! Definitely want to make another batch ASAP to use as a topping for frozen yogurt! Thanks for sharing this easy-to-make recipe ~ A KEEPER!
- 3 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (for extra special flavor use Lavender Sugar With Vanilla)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, fresh
- 2 lbs cherries, pitted and stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water, sugar, vanilla bean, and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Place over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the syrup to a boil.
- Stir in the fruit and the lemon juice. Cover the fruit with a lid slightly smaller than the diameter of the saucepan. This will keep the fruit submerged in the syrup.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook about 8 minutes.
- Allow the fruit to cool in the syrup, still covered, to room temperature. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and chill at least 30 minutes before serving.