Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This dessert has the most delicate and creamy flavors of almond, lightly sweetened cherries, and a creamy rice pudding! This recipe holds many special memories for me. My Grandma, who has now been gone for many years, made this since I was a little girl- and it has been a favorite of all of ours-especially my big brother who passed away a few years ago...it reminds me of holidays and all the people I love! No Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner is complete without it! Try it...it makes a beautiful presentation and is just a lovely dish. Note: I did add 25 minutes to the cook and prep time to include cooking 3 cups of white rice. You will also need to chill the rice layer at least 4 hours and I did not add that to the prep or cook time.
The Snow Layer
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 3 1⁄3 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (1 tablespoon) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream, whipped
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Combine rice, 3 cups milk, sugar, salt and butter.
- Cook over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Soften gelatin in remaining 1/3 cup milk. Stir into rice mixture. Add extracts and remove from heat and let cool.
- Fold whipped cream into rice mixture and gently spoon into a 9x13 smoothing the top with a spatula. Refrigerate for at least 4 hrs or until thoroughly chilled.
- Make the cherry topping by stirring the almond extract and a few drops of food coloring into the cherry pie filling (I usually use wilderness brand) and gently spread the cherry filling over the rice layer-being careful not to stir 'into' the rice layer.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!