Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Bake these muffins and make mouths water.
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen unsweetened tart red cherries
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup milk
- granulated sugar
- Cut cherries in halves while frozen.
- Set aside to thaw and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, almond extract and vanilla, beating well.
- Crush 1/2 cup cherries with a fork; add to batter.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in half the flour with a spatula, then half the cream.
- Add remaining flour and cream.
- Fold in remaining cherry halves.
- Portion batter evenly into 12 paper-lined or lightly greased muffin cups (2 3/4 inches in diameter).
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 375º oven 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Fantastic muffins! I made them with fresh cherries instead of frozen, and they turned out wonderfully. I also subbed 1/4 cup vanilla falvoured coffee creamer + 1/4 cup skim milk for the light cream. The recipe yielded 12 large muffins for me - I probably could have squeezed 18 smaller muffins out of the recipe if I wanted to, but I like the larger version. Thanks for the great idea!!!
I made this recipe for friends at work. Several asked for the recipe! The muffins are moist and the cherry/almond combination is great! I couldn't find frozen cherries so I used canned. I'm sure the frozen would be a little firmer in the finished product.
These are awesome! The batter was thicker than I thought it would be but they came out perfectly.