Cherokee Yam Cakes (biscuits)
- Sift flour, baking soda, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Pour oil and milk into a measuring cup (do not stir).
- Add to yams and blend well.
- Add to flour mixture and mix lightly with fork (until mixture holds together) Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth (about 12 kneading strokes).
- Roll dough about 1/4" thick and cut into rounds with floured biscuit cutter (or rim of drinking glass) Place rounds on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425º for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve hot, or split when cold and toast.