Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Souper Salad restaurant website. Cooking time for cornbread not included in total.
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- 1 lb frozen corn
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeld and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped jalapeno
- 6 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base, may substitute with 3 bouillon cubes
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 2 cups baked cornbread (crumbled)
- In a cooking pot, melt butter over high heat.
- Add corn and sauté for 10 minutes (corn should be golden brown).
- While corn is sautéing, dice onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots and jalapeños into bite size pieces.
- Add prepared vegetables to corn and continue sautéing for 6 minutes.
- Add water and soup base and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, chili powder and seasoning salt.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add cornbread crumbles right before serving.
- NOTE: For a spicier flavor, top with diced fresh jalapeños.