Recipe by Olha
These drop cookies keep well if wrapped, when cold, in wax paper and stored in an airtight container.
- 3⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, the yolks separated from the whites, and the whites stiffly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted with
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice, and
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb dates, pitted and chopped (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb pecans (about 2 cups) or 1⁄2 lb walnuts, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- superfine sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and brown sugar, and add the egg yolks and baking soda. Combine the sifted flour mixture with the butter mixture. Fold the egg whites into the batter and, last of all, fold in the dates and nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto well-buttered baking sheets, leaving about 3 inches between the mounds. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies are done in the center. Do not cook them too long or they will be as hard as their name implies. Remove the cookies from the baking sheets with a spatula and dust them with superfine sugar.
- Marion Flexner.Out Of Kentucky Kitchens.