Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Combine cornmeal, baking soda, and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and milk, stirring just until dry ingreients are moistened.
- Form batter into eight 1/2 inch thick cakes.
- Place on a hot greased griddle.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Turn and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter.