Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is from an old chili recipe I found, I changed some things to try to make it a bit healthier, as well as spice it up. I got rave reviews from my husband and his buddy when I made this for a Buckeye football day. Enjoy! Feel free to try different meats for different flavors.
- 453.59 g ground turkey
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage (bulk)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 serrano chilies, chopped
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes with jalapenos, drained
- 425.24 g can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92-7.39 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml dried oregano leaves
- 425.24 g canspicy chili beans
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- low-fat sour cream, if desired
- sliced green onion, if desired
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping if desired
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, sausage, onion and chiles over medium high heat, stirring frequently until cooked. Drain off grease.
- In a large crock pot, mix meat mixture and remaining ingredients except sour cream, green onions and cheese. Break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Cover, cook on low heat setting for 8 hours. Top individual servings with sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese. It's soo good!