Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is from an old chili recipe I found, I changed some things to try to make it a bit healthier, as well as spice it up. I got rave reviews from my husband and his buddy when I made this for a Buckeye football day. Enjoy! Feel free to try different meats for different flavors.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (bulk)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 serrano chilies, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) canspicy chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- low-fat sour cream, if desired
- sliced green onion, if desired
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping if desired
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, sausage, onion and chiles over medium high heat, stirring frequently until cooked. Drain off grease.
- In a large crock pot, mix meat mixture and remaining ingredients except sour cream, green onions and cheese. Break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Cover, cook on low heat setting for 8 hours. Top individual servings with sour cream, green onions and cheddar cheese. It's soo good!