Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
Cooking time is actually cooling time.
- 709.77 ml cooked long grain brown rice, not instant
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 473.18 ml rhubarb, washed,dried and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 354.88 ml pitted canned sour cherries, drained
- 236.59 ml zucchini, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml honey
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 73.94 ml fresh orange juice
- 2 envelope gelatin powder
- To prepare crust, combine cooked rice, 1/4 cup sugar, beaten egg whites and cinnamon.
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Spread the rice mixture evenly over bottom and sides of pan, pressing lightly with fingertips or the back of a spoon to shape into a crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes; cool to room temperature.
- For the filling, put the rhubarb in a saucepan with the zucchini, cherries, sugar, honey and 2 tablespoons orange juice and cinnamon; simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until rhubarb and zucchini are tender; taste for tartness and add more honey or sugar as needed.
- Place the remaining 3 tablespoons of orange juice in a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin powder over juice; let soak a few minutes to soften.
- Turn the cooked rhubarb mixture into food processor (or use an immersion blender) and puree; return the pureed mixture to the saucepan and bring back to a simmer.
- Pour gelatin into the hot puree and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved, let cool to room temperature and then turn out into the crust.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.