Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is absolute heaven, it gives you all of your daily dosage of veggies and about a month and a half's worth of flavour. Given to me by my good friend Chelsea, who 'borrowed' it from the trendy Italian restaurant that she waitressed for xx
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, chopped
- 6 baby squash, chopped
- 425 g tomatoes
- 1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- 500 g small shell pasta, cooked
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a large saucepan fry the onion, garlic, bay leaf, basil, chilli, zuccini, capsicum, mushrooms, and squash for 5-10 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add in the tomatoes and spinach, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the ricotta, cream, salt and pepper.
- Add sauce to cooked pasta shells and stir through.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese. Bellissimo!
I'm a huge fan of this recipe. I use it mainly as a 'guide', using whatever veggies I have around (I have a vegetable share at a local CSA). I've made it twice now, with completely different sets of veggies (only the tomatoes and zucchini were the same), and it came out beautifully both times.
Followed directions, what a disaster. First the appearance was very unappealing, but thought sometimes things taste better than they look. Unfortunately, the taste was what the appearance led me to believe. It was a jumble of vegetables with nothing to give it taste. There were four at dinner and not one of us liked it. It was a waste of plenty of good vegetables.
Aussie Swap #19: YUM!! I love pasta and this is one of my new favorites! I love all the veggies in this!