1/3 Photos of Chelsea Christmas Buns
This was adaped from The Barefoot Contessa's Chelsea Buns. They have replaced frozen dough Cinnamon Rolls I have been making for my family every Christmas Day morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Do-ahead steps: Defrost the puff pastry overnight in the refrigerator and leave in the refrigerator until ready to roll out. If you leave it on the counter while you assemble everything they get too soft and will be difficult to work with. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2With a hand mixer or stand mixer cream together and place one rounded tablespoon of mixture in to each muffin cup. Sprinkle ½ cup of the chopped pecans evenly over the sugar butter mix: 7 TBS of butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and ½ t vanilla extract
- 3With a fork combine remaining brown sugar and the spices. Divide mixture in half: one half for one puff pastry sheet, and one for the second: 2/3 c brown sugar, 3 t cinnamon, ½ t nutmeg, ¼ t salt.
- 4Tear off a sheet of plastic wrap larger than the puff pastry sheet and place on a wooden board. Lightly flour the area and unfold one sheet of the defrosted puff pastry with the folds going left to right. With a pastry brush, paint the sheet with melted butter, reserving ½ for the second sheet. Sprinkle brown sugar/spice mixture over the puff pastry and then top with ½ cup of chopped pecans. Starting with the end closest to you, roll snugly, just like a jelly roll ending with seam side down. Slice in to six equal pieces. Each piece is about 1 ½ inches wide. Place each piece spiral side up in the muffin cups. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry to make 12 Chelsea Christmas Buns.
- 5Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Cool for just five minutes before turning out on to a foil or parchment paper lined sheet pan.
- 6Optional spice ideas: cardamom, ginger, allspice.
- 7Optional dried fruit ideas: cranberries, cherries, raisins, golden raisins, apricots, currants, dates.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chelsea Christmas Buns
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 919.8
- Calories from Fat 596
- Total Fat 66.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 37.4 g
- Protein 8.7 g