Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This comes from a Middle Eastern cookbook and was posted for a request on the talk boards. I have not tried it yet.
- In a 3-4 quart casserole dish, with a tight fitting lid, bring 6 cups of water to a boil over high heat.
- Pour the rice in slowly so the water doesn't stop boiling.
- Stir a couple times, boil for 5 minutes and then drain in a sieve.
- Meanwhile, crush the saffron and sugar together and dissolve in the teaspoon of warm water.
- Pour it into the casserole along with the melted butter.
- Add the potatoes and turn them with a spoon until they are coated.
- Spread the potatoes out flat so they cover the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon the rice over them, mounding it slightly in the centre.
- Dot the top of the rice with the remaining butter.
- Cover tightly and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Now place a sheet of aluminium foil over the dish to seal it completely.
- Put the lid back in place, reduce the heat as low as possible and steam the rice and potatoes for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- To serve, spoon the rice in a mound on a heated platter.
- Lift out the potatoes and serve them browned side up on the rice.