This comes from a Middle Eastern cookbook and was posted for a request on the talk boards. I have not tried it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 3-4 quart casserole dish, with a tight fitting lid, bring 6 cups of water to a boil over high heat.
- 2Pour the rice in slowly so the water doesn't stop boiling.
- 3Stir a couple times, boil for 5 minutes and then drain in a sieve.
- 4Meanwhile, crush the saffron and sugar together and dissolve in the teaspoon of warm water.
- 5Pour it into the casserole along with the melted butter.
- 6Add the potatoes and turn them with a spoon until they are coated.
- 7Spread the potatoes out flat so they cover the bottom of the dish.
- 8Spoon the rice over them, mounding it slightly in the centre.
- 9Dot the top of the rice with the remaining butter.
- 10Cover tightly and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- 11Now place a sheet of aluminium foil over the dish to seal it completely.
- 12Put the lid back in place, reduce the heat as low as possible and steam the rice and potatoes for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- 13To serve, spoon the rice in a mound on a heated platter.
- 14Lift out the potatoes and serve them browned side up on the rice.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chelo Seebzamini -- Iranian Rice With Saffron Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.3
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 150.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 7.9 g