Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 hrs
Here is a family-style dish to be served any time of year. It is a substantial soup stew, well seasoned in Afghan style & combined w/a crispy-bottomed rice provides contrasting texture to stew. The stew & rice are served separately.
- 5 cups water
- 4 chicken legs, loose skin discarded
- 4 chicken thighs, loose skin discarded
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked in water overnight & drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raw rice, well rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- To prepare stew: Bring water to a boil, add chicken pieces and remove foam as it cooks.
- Add chickpeas, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, salt, pepper and cumin seed.
- Cover pan and cook over moderate heat for 45 minutes Add coriander, dill, and lemon juice. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes more.
- This is sufficient to tenderized chicken and ingrate all seasonings.
- To prepare rice: Bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil in pan.
- Add rice and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes Drain rice in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Return rice to pan and pour oil over all.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat for 1/2 hours No other water is added and rice cooks only moisture clings to it after rinsing.
- The rice will develop a crisp bottom layer.
- Serve rice and stew separately.
- Each diner takes their own portion of rice and cover it with as much stew as they wish.
- Serve warm.