11 hrs 20 mins
Here is a family-style dish to be served any time of year. It is a substantial soup stew, well seasoned in Afghan style & combined w/a crispy-bottomed rice provides contrasting texture to stew. The stew & rice are served separately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups water
- 4 chicken legs, loose skin discarded
- 4 chicken thighs, loose skin discarded
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked in water overnight & drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raw rice, well rinsed
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1To prepare stew: Bring water to a boil, add chicken pieces and remove foam as it cooks.
- 2Add chickpeas, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, salt, pepper and cumin seed.
- 3Cover pan and cook over moderate heat for 45 minutes Add coriander, dill, and lemon juice. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes more.
- 4This is sufficient to tenderized chicken and ingrate all seasonings.
- 5To prepare rice: Bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil in pan.
- 6Add rice and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes Drain rice in colander and rinse with cold water.
- 7Return rice to pan and pour oil over all.
- 8Cover pan and cook over low heat for 1/2 hours No other water is added and rice cooks only moisture clings to it after rinsing.
- 9The rice will develop a crisp bottom layer.
- 10Serve rice and stew separately.
- 11Each diner takes their own portion of rice and cover it with as much stew as they wish.
- 12Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chelo Nachodo (Chicken & Chickpea Stew With Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (730 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.7
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 145.0 mg
- Sodium 949.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 42.6 g