Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
The chelo kebab is the national dish of Iran. Served on skewers over a bed of rice this recipe is basic, yet full of flavor. I prefer to grill this over a charcoal grill. Served with pita bread and salad such as tabbouleh.
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients.
- Take about 1/4 of the meat mixture and form into a ball.
- Place ball through flat skewers.
- Press around skewer into square cigar shapes.
- Repeat with remaining meat for 4 kebabs.
- Place on grill and cook about 4-6 minutes each side, until meat is no longer pink and done.
Oh delicious! I did add the obvious to me, sea salt to taste & used regular ground beef instead of ground lamb as that is what I had on hand. Beat the ground meat mixture with a wooden spoon until it is very well blended. BBQ'd them a couple times (recommended) and served with a sprinkle of sumac on top (almost a must), a saffron buttered rice, charred onions, Tzatziki and salad for a delicious meal I have also broiled them in the oven when not BBQ weather here. I have also tried then using some cinnamon in addition to cumin from my experience with Luleh Kebabs- Persian Ground Lamb Kebabs, but preferred just cumin on its own. I will make these again. Originally made for Visiting Iran(Persia) in June 2012!
amazing persian food