Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom only of loaf pans (two pans if using 9 inch, three if using 8 or 8.5 inch).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and shortening.
- Stir in eggs, water and zucchini.
- Mix in remaining ingredients thoroughly, except nuts.
- Stir in nuts, if desired, and pour into pans.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes; until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the sides of loaves from pans, remove from pans to finish cooling.
- Cool completely prior to cutting.
- Great served toasted with butter, with cream cheese frosting, whipping cream with rum as dessert, or just plain!
- Enjoy! ;).
Great zucchini bread! I made half of the recipe to produce one loaf. The loaf has a good consistency and is full of flavor. You can really taste the cinnamon and cloves! Made for ZWT8 Australia/NZ regions. Thank you mate!
Yummy, yummy! The bread had a nice crisp exterior and moist interior. Great flavor. The amount of spices and vanilla really worked with this bread. I reduced the quantities to make one loaf, and I had to substitute canola oil for the Crisco. I cut out the water completely since the oil is liquid and I know my zucchini from the garden has quite a bit of water in it. It worked perfectly.
This was a great zucchini bread. I made 3 small loaves for my kids breakfast and they went through them very quickly. Made for ZWT7.