Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I don't have a recipe, but I'm attempting to write it down so that I can put it in my shopping list. Can substitute ground turkey and turkey sausage if desired (but I like the real stuff better!)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (if needed)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (prefer Prego)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- brown ground beef in skillet, add to slow cooker or big pot.
- in same skillet brown sausage links, slice and add to pot.
- if needed, add oil to skillet and brown the onions, add garlic and mushrooms,
- when brown, add oregano, thyme or italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Saute for one minute and add to pot.
- add prepared sauce, tomatoes, paste and sugar to pot.
- cook in slow cooker on low for 6 hours or on stovetop or in slowcooker on high for 2 hours.
- Toward the end of the cooking, add basil.
- Serve over pasta.
- Goes great with recipe #21547, Garlic Bubble Bread.
This was delicious! Very easy to make with ingredients I usually have on-hand. I did use dry spices, which is what I typically put in my own spaghetti sauce. The addition of the Italian sausage was new to me, and my kids really loved it that way! This recips makes a LOT and is wonderful for freezing. Thanks for sharing, Chelle!