Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A great holiday favorite- I got this from an old Betty Crocker cookbook and make it along with my Chelle's Zucchini Bread and Chelle's Banana Bread in mini loaves for the holidays! I generally get 6 mini loaves from this recipe and they bake for 33 minutes for me without any changes to the recipe. Easy, fun, crowd pleasing recipes! Enjoy!
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom only of loaf pans (two pans if using 9 inch, three if using 8 or 8.5 inch).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and shortening.
- Stir in eggs, water and pumpkin.
- Mix in remaining ingredients thoroughly, except nuts.
- Stir in nuts (if desired) and pour into pans.
- Bake for 70 to 80 minutes; until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the sides of loaves from pans, remove from pans to finish cooling.
- Cool completely prior to cutting.
- Great served toasted with butter, with cream cheese frosting, whipping cream with rum as dessert, or just plain!
- Enjoy! ;).
Took the pumpkin bread on our youth camping trip and all the youth enjoyed it. Even had one ask for me to make more, and that they loved it. I did add walnuts to the recipe. Thank You for sharing. Made for ZWT8
This made a lovely golden cake. As we don't have canned pumpkin here in Australia I used home made pumpkin puree from a fresh pumpkin. I sprinkled the top with cinnamon as it came out of the oven. Made for ZWT8.
This is a great recipe. Instead of nuts, I used dried cranberries. I made mini loaves for a bake sale. Sold well.