I found several recipes on Zaar for Shrimp Creole, but none of them was what I was looking for. I just came up with my own twist and it was inhaled by all--even the kids.
- 1 lb shrimp (shelled, deveined tails removed, any size you like)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or I like a fine grater or microplane or press)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce (adjust to your heat level)
- Worcestershire sauce (3-5 dashes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon (I use Knorr and it makes 2c of broth, check your package and use 2 if yours only makes 1 cup)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- In a deep skillet or dutch oven, Brown onion and bell pepper in bacon grease over med head for about 10 minutes.
- add garlic and saute another couple of minutes, you don't want to brown the garlic.
- add everything else to the pan, except for the shrimp.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or so, until flavors meld.
- Add shrimp and simmer for about 10 more minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve over rice.