Recipe by Chele D
I found several recipes on Zaar for Shrimp Creole, but none of them was what I was looking for. I just came up with my own twist and it was inhaled by all--even the kids.
Top Review by CIndytc
This was outstanding! My DB thought he had died and went to heaven! Would not let me share any leftovers with neighbors as he wants to eat it again tomorrow...that is a big compliment...Made for PAC Fall 2009
- 1 lb shrimp (shelled, deveined tails removed, any size you like)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or I like a fine grater or microplane or press)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce (adjust to your heat level)
- Worcestershire sauce (3-5 dashes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon (I use Knorr and it makes 2c of broth, check your package and use 2 if yours only makes 1 cup)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep skillet or dutch oven, Brown onion and bell pepper in bacon grease over med head for about 10 minutes.
- add garlic and saute another couple of minutes, you don't want to brown the garlic.
- add everything else to the pan, except for the shrimp.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or so, until flavors meld.
- Add shrimp and simmer for about 10 more minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve over rice.