Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Waldorf salad is a mixture of apples, celery, and nuts blended with mayonnaise. It was developed by chef Oscar Tschirky at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in 1893, on the occasion of the very first Waldorf banquet given in the United States. The affair was a charity fundraiser organized by Mrs. William Vanderbilt.
- 1 1⁄2 cups red apples, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- lettuce leaf
- shelled walnuts
- jelly, sandwiches
- In a bowl sprinkle the apple with lemon juice to prevent it from turning brown.
- Add the celery and mayonnaise and mix well.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on 2 serving plates. Spoon the apple and celery mixture onto the lettuce leaves and garnish with walnuts. Serve with jelly sandwiches. Makes 2 servings.
- What’s Cooking--Burt Wolf.