Recipe by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
The use of fresh meats (or deli meats), various cheeses, and a classic dressing happily perched on a bed of screaming icy, cold, salad greens begs you to chow down, even in the hot, humid weather. Add or subtract to the ingredients, (a must to make it your own) but most of all, make sure you purchase the freshest ingredients available. Serve on very well chilled salad greens, (often I throw a couple of ice cubes on top of the cold lettuces) prior to serving this. Punt off the cubes, wring out excess water, add toppings and drizzle dressing on. Serve immediately. I have divided the dressing recipe to a seperate recipe, which; is found here. French Dressing. Sometimes, I just use a simple dressing of 1 part red wine vinegar, to 2 parts extra light olive oil. I have also included the dressing at the bottom of this page too. Both are wonderful additions to a healthful salad. Adapted from a Chef at New York's Ritz-Carlton Hotel and purported inventor of the dish.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for Eating Right While Staying Cook ~ Diabetic Forum. Delicious! I used romaine, iceberg lettuce and some napa cabbage (to use up) along with the amounts you suggested. I followed the vegetable ingredients and added a couple of radishes and yellow peppers julienned and used a little swiss cheese, extra sharp cheese and some lean ham and chicken breasts diced up. The dressing was wonderful and I have enough left over for another salad. (I did use a little less oil then posted). Thank you for a great recipe!
- 4 cups lightly packed chopped mixed escarole
- green leaf lettuce (use iceberg for crispness too) or iceberg lettuce (use iceberg for crispness too)
- 1⁄4 cup julienned smoked ham
- 1⁄4 cup julienned cooked turkey breast
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced boiled cooked chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese or 1⁄4 cup American cheese or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, sliced (in 1/4 inch chunks)
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 1 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Hard boil an egg. Place a egg in a pan of water covering egg. Bring to gentle boil for one minute. Remove from heat and place lid on pot. Set timer for 14 minutes. Remove egg, place in ice water bath for 8 minutes to stop cooking. Peel and set aside.
- Lay out lettuces on an individual plate or arrange on a bigger plate for family serving.
- Place ham, chicken, (bacon if using) and turkey with sliced egg on top of greens. Tuck cucumbers into center. Add thinly sliced sweet onions and tomato that has been sliced and quartered.
- Top with tomatoes.
- For dressing:
- Add all ingredients in a mason jar except olive oil. Shake these ingredients, adding olive oil slowly, or using a wire wisk, mixing and then shaking often with lid on.
- Let sit in fridge for an hour or so.
- Slowly drizzle dressing on top.
- (Reserve remaining dressing for another use.).