Recipe by Crabzilla
While watching the cooking segment of the October 19th episode of The Tony Danza Show, Chef Rocco's Dispirito's mama prepared her infamous meatballs. I have not tried them, but I have a friend that did the following night and said she will never make another meatball recipe again.
Top Review by elnvk
I followed the recipe as shown ( many times....it's wonderful!) , but this time, I made it as a meatloaf! It was wonderful! I added some good red pasta sauce and a couple of strips of bacon across the top......baked it covered for 45 minutes at 350, uncovered it and baked it another 45 minutes. It was great as meatloaf, great sliced the next night and made into a "meatball" sandwich with Provolone and more gravy, and tonight it got diced and mixed with rice and stuffed into peppers and baked! Won't ever make regular meatloaf again!
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -6 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken stock, onion, garlic, and parsley in a blender or food processor and puree.
- In a large bowl, combine the pureed stock mix, meat, bread crumbs, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Combine with hands until mixture is uniform, do not overmix.
- Put a little olive oil on your hands and form mixture into balls a little larger than golf balls.
- Pour about 1/2 inch of extra virgin olive oil in straight sided, 10-inch-wide saute pan and heat over medium-high flame.
- Add the meatballs to the pan, working in batches if necessary, and brown meatballs, turning once.
- This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- While meatballs are browning, heat the marinara sauce in a large pot.
- Transfer the meatballs to the pot with the marinara sauce and simmer for one hour.
- Serve alone or over your favorite pasta.