Cook1 hr 15 mins
While watching the cooking segment of the October 19th episode of The Tony Danza Show, Chef Rocco's Dispirito's mama prepared her infamous meatballs. I have not tried them, but I have a friend that did the following night and said she will never make another meatball recipe again.
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -6 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- Place the chicken stock, onion, garlic, and parsley in a blender or food processor and puree.
- In a large bowl, combine the pureed stock mix, meat, bread crumbs, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Combine with hands until mixture is uniform, do not overmix.
- Put a little olive oil on your hands and form mixture into balls a little larger than golf balls.
- Pour about 1/2 inch of extra virgin olive oil in straight sided, 10-inch-wide saute pan and heat over medium-high flame.
- Add the meatballs to the pan, working in batches if necessary, and brown meatballs, turning once.
- This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- While meatballs are browning, heat the marinara sauce in a large pot.
- Transfer the meatballs to the pot with the marinara sauce and simmer for one hour.
- Serve alone or over your favorite pasta.