1/1 Photo of Chef Rocco Dispirito's Mama's Meatballs
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
While watching the cooking segment of the October 19th episode of The Tony Danza Show, Chef Rocco's Dispirito's mama prepared her infamous meatballs. I have not tried them, but I have a friend that did the following night and said she will never make another meatball recipe again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -6 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1Place the chicken stock, onion, garlic, and parsley in a blender or food processor and puree.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the pureed stock mix, meat, bread crumbs, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- 3Combine with hands until mixture is uniform, do not overmix.
- 4Put a little olive oil on your hands and form mixture into balls a little larger than golf balls.
- 5Pour about 1/2 inch of extra virgin olive oil in straight sided, 10-inch-wide saute pan and heat over medium-high flame.
- 6Add the meatballs to the pan, working in batches if necessary, and brown meatballs, turning once.
- 7This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- 8While meatballs are browning, heat the marinara sauce in a large pot.
- 9Transfer the meatballs to the pot with the marinara sauce and simmer for one hour.
- 10Serve alone or over your favorite pasta.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Rocco Dispirito's Mama's Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 750.5
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 227.0 mg
- Sodium 1710.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 41.9 g