Recipe by Chef Lyle
" I created this elegant dessert for an Italian wedding I catered in 94 and it has a flavor twist. I found that I could use White chocolate, coffee, plus cinnamon and vanilla to makes a cappuccino mousse. Use foil baking liners for the best results when making the chocolate cups. "Leave it to an Italian to come up with something like this!"
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, I Use Dr. Watkins 2X
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saigon cinnamon
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- chocolate curls (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chill clean mixing bowl and balloon whip in freezer for whipping cream.
- Heat white chocolate in a medium microwaveable bowl, uncovered, on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave 30 seconds at a time until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Dissolve instant coffee in 1 teaspoon hot water.
- Add dissolved coffee, ¼ cup heavy cream, vanilla, and cinnamon to chocolate and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place semi-sweet chocolate and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl, and microwave as described in step 2.
- Place foil muffin liners in eight muffin tins. Working on one chocolate cup at a time, spoon about 1 tablespoon melted chocolate into foil liner, and, using a small pastry brush, "paint" chocolate about half-way up each liner.
- Chill in refrigerator or freezer until hardened, about 10-15 minutes.
- While chocolate cups are chilling, whip remaining ¾ cup heavy cream in chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually and whip to very stiff peaks.
- Very gently fold whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture, taking care to maintain the fluffiness of the whipped cream.
- Remove chocolate cups from refrigerator and carefully peel off foil liners. If chocolate becomes too soft, return to refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Fill each chocolate cup with about 4 tablespoons of the cappuccino mousse mixture. Garnish with whipped cream, sprinkle with cinnamon and add chocolate curls if desired.
- Refrigerate; let stand about 5 minutes at room temperature before serving.