Recipe by KathyP53
Chef Lou teaches in a local college culinary program where I live. His potato soup recipe was published in the local newspaper and folks went wild for it. Try it and you'll understand.
Top Review by iris5555
I think this makes more than 6 servings, which is good, because I couldn't justify an 1800 calorie bowl of soup! I did make a change, using half and half instead of heavy cream. The soup is very rich given the cream and 2 cheeses. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 7 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, minced for garnish
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain off all but 1/4 cup of bacon grease.
- Saute celery and onion in bacon grease until onion begins to turn clear.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes and toss to coat.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add enough chicken broth to just cover the potatoes.
- Add heavy cream.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add Parmesan, cheddar cheese, and butter and stir until melted.
- Puree some if desired for thickening.
- Garnish with green onion and bacon crumbles.