Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A Sweet Challah for Shabbat or any occasion
Make and share this Chef Larry's Sweet Challah recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast, dissolved in
- 3⁄4 cup water, 115 degrees
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 large egg, reserved, to baste with
- sesame seeds or poppy seed
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter flavoring
- Dissolve the yeast in the hot water and 2 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Add the flour, remaining sugar and salt to a food processor and mix for 10 seconds.
- Continue processing, adding the yeast mixture, 2 beaten eggs, margarine, honey and flavorings.
- Knead for 30 more seconds.
- Place dough into a greased bowl and cover.
- Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Punch down, cover and let rise one more hour.
- Punch down and divide into thirds.
- Braid the challah and place on a greased sheet and let rise one more hour.
- Paint the challah with the reserved beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds (optional).
- Place the challah into a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Let cool.
WOW - what amazing flavor! I must admit that I'm still having problems getting a good rise & texture from this, but I'm going to work with this recipe because the flavor is just WONDERFUL! I split it into 2 smaller loaves and freeze one for the following week. Thanks so much for sharing!
09/08/2010 - made it again and STILL no rise from it.