Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love Jewish desserts and rugelach is one of my all time favourites.
For the dough
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold vegan margarine (cut up)
- 4 ounces cold vegan cream cheese
For the filling
- 3⁄4 cup organic apricot jam (use a tart jam if substituting)
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted nuts (I used almonds and pecans)
- 1 lemon, zest of
For the topping
- 1⁄4 cup silk soy coffee creamer
- 1⁄3 cup coarse raw sugar
- Prepare the pastry by placing the flour in the bowl of a food processor. Give it a pulse to fluff it up. Add the cut up margarine and pulse again.
- Add the cold vegan cream cheese. I use Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese in this.
- Pulse the flour, margarine and cheese mixture until a ball forms and then remove. Form into a disc. Cut in half and wrap each disc in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one to 24 hours.
- Once the pastry is chilled, preheat your oven to 350'F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put your jam into a small bowl and stir it to get any lumps out of it.
- Once the oven is heated up, roast your nuts. I did mine at 350 for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Remove the nuts and set aside until cool. Add them along with your lemon zest and sugar into the bowl of a small food chopper and process until the nuts are about 1/3 their original size.
- Set this aside.
- Remove one of your pastry discs from the fridge. Lightly flour your counter top and roll the pastry out to a large circle. Make the dough very thin as it will crisp up much better if you do.
- Spread the jam on the pastry, then sprinkle 1/2 the nut mixture. Cut the rolled out pastry in 4 equal sections, then cut each of the 4 sections into 3 equal sections.
- Roll from the outside in and place with seam side down on your covered cookie sheet.
- Brush with the soy creamer and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on these, they can burn easily.
- Cool on a metal cookie rack.
- Repeat with the second batch of cookies.
- You can also sprinkle other sugars on these, icing, or fruit might be nice.
- Bon Appetit.