1/1 Photo of Chef Joey's Vegan Rugelach
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I love Jewish desserts and rugelach is one of my all time favourites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
For the filling
- 3/4 cup organic apricot jam (use a tart jam if substituting)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted nuts (I used almonds and pecans)
- 1 lemon, zest of
For the topping
- 1/4 cup silk soy coffee creamer
- 1/3 cup coarse raw sugar
- 1Prepare the pastry by placing the flour in the bowl of a food processor. Give it a pulse to fluff it up. Add the cut up margarine and pulse again.
- 2Add the cold vegan cream cheese. I use Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese in this.
- 3Pulse the flour, margarine and cheese mixture until a ball forms and then remove. Form into a disc. Cut in half and wrap each disc in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one to 24 hours.
- 4Once the pastry is chilled, preheat your oven to 350'F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- 5Put your jam into a small bowl and stir it to get any lumps out of it.
- 6Once the oven is heated up, roast your nuts. I did mine at 350 for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- 7Remove the nuts and set aside until cool. Add them along with your lemon zest and sugar into the bowl of a small food chopper and process until the nuts are about 1/3 their original size.
- 8Set this aside.
- 9Remove one of your pastry discs from the fridge. Lightly flour your counter top and roll the pastry out to a large circle. Make the dough very thin as it will crisp up much better if you do.
- 10Spread the jam on the pastry, then sprinkle 1/2 the nut mixture. Cut the rolled out pastry in 4 equal sections, then cut each of the 4 sections into 3 equal sections.
- 11Roll from the outside in and place with seam side down on your covered cookie sheet.
- 12Brush with the soy creamer and sprinkle with some sugar.
- 13Bake for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on these, they can burn easily.
- 14Cool on a metal cookie rack.
- 15Repeat with the second batch of cookies.
- 16You can also sprinkle other sugars on these, icing, or fruit might be nice.
- 17Bon Appetit.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Vegan Rugelach
Serving Size: 1 (17 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.9
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan cream cheese
lemons, zest of
soy coffee creamer