1/1 Photo of Chef Joey's Vegan Lemon Squares
1 hr 5 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
These are tangy and sweet all at the same time. I found it necessary to use the gelatin to help thicken the lemon curd. I also cut back on the fine sugar to 8 oz. in the curd so it isn't as sweet because I used a sweet lemon for this dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 177.44 ml spelt flour
- 59.14 ml yellow cornmeal
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.59 ml baking soda
- 29.58 ml vegan margarine (vegan-at room temperature)
- 236.59 ml raw sugar (divided)
- 1 egg substitute
- 14.79 ml plain non dairy soy yogurt
- 1.23 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml lemon juice
- 4 lemons, rind of
- 113.39 g vegan margarine
- 340.19 g fine sugar
- 7.08 g packet vegan gelatin
- 4 egg substitute
- 1Preheat oven to 350’F. Spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with vegan spray oil.
- 2FOR THE CRUST:.
- 3Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda, set aside.
- 4Beat the butter in a separate large mixing bowl until creamy. Add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until mixture begins to pull together into a mass. Add egg replacer, yogurt, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to this until just combined and briefly knead with your hands to incorporate.
- 5Press the dough into your prepared pan and prick all over with a fork. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until nicely golden on top. Remove from the oven and cool while you proceed with the topping.
- 6FOR THE TOPPING: (Lemon Curd).
- 7Wash the outer skin of the lemons, dry them off and grate them first. Then juice them.
- 8In the top of a double boiler, add the lemon juice and rind, vegan margarine, sugar and egg substitutes. Stir until the sugar is totally dissolved and continue heating gently for about 20 minutes until the lemon is thick.
- 9If this doesn’t thicken up put the vegan gelatin powder in a bowl and add a little of the hot lemon curd to it and stir well, then add it back to the hot curd in the pot and stir until it thickens a little.
- 10Pour on top of the cooled crust and put in the fridge for at least an hour to set. Cover with cling wrap.
- 11Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Vegan Lemon Squares
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.2
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 36.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 60.3 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of