Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
Don't you just hate it when you come across a great cookie recipe and the instructions are lacking? I sure do. This recipe was one of those. Not to be discouraged, I made these and now can impart what I learned. These cookies are very chewy. Make sure you flatten them to about 1/4" as they don't really spread, but they do rise. Their flavor is very mild even with the chips, nuts and seed additions. The batter is very stiff. I have a little tablespoon measure made by chip clip that has a rubber bottom so I can pop the batter out without it sticking. These cookies would be great dunkers!
- 3 cups spelt flour (I used the sprouted spelt)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (non-aluminum)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used mango apple)
- 1⁄2 cup agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (you can use unsweetened carob chips too. Mine were Enjoy Life gluten free)
- 1⁄4 chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (I used the salted ones)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with spray oil. I used my silpat sheets in place of the oil to keep the fat content down. You could probably use parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl stir the flour and baking powder with a whisk to lighten up the mixture.
- In a medium bowl mix the apple sauce, agave syrup and vanilla. Using a whisk mix this all together then add to the flour baking powder mixture. Stir it very well.
- The batter will be very stiff. Add the chips, nuts and seeds and fold them into the batter to distribute.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto the cookie sheet and flatten with a fork. Dip the fork in water if the batter sticks to it.
- Make sure if you like round cookies you shape them accordingly because they will stay in what ever shape they are in when you flatten them.
- Bake for 12 minutes. The edges of the cookies should be golden in color. Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack immediately. These cookies are pretty sturdy so they can handle being moved off the cookie sheet right away. Then pop the next batch into the oven.
- Serve with a nice tall glass of non-dairy milk.
- Bon Appetit!